Tuesday, March 29, 2011

wait what? March 23rd

back to the PLC after spring break! I arrived hoping the students would also be returning. The attendance the weeks before break left something to be desired to say the least. The front doors are both locked. This is weird, I guess someone just hit the switch or something. Luckily, someone was standing inside the door to let me in. I signed in as usual and then couldn't open the door to the hallway. Again, someone had to let me inside. Twice in one day got me wondering, why the locks today? I entered the classroom and to my dismay found two students, once again. The teacher addressed my questioning gaze by saying it still is the end of class change and hopefully more students will arrive. When they didn't she explained it must be because of the fact that the school is on lock down. Lock down, well now everything makes sense. A student arrived I had never before seen and I sat down with her approval to help her for the day. She seems very uninterested in any of the material and ignores the lectures. She writes down her vocabulary words but that is the extent of her involvement with her work. Also on this day, the AC is broken and it is unbearably hot. I do not blame her one bit for complaining, as excessive as it was considering everyone in the building is in the same situation. She goes on and on about the heat until I turn her attention to the lock down. Boy, what a mistake. She explained the school is on lock down because of the police officer shooting by Jamie Hood. Understandable, I thought, but it did not end there. She elaborated to much extent about Jamie. His background, his reasoning for the shooting, his plan, the fact that she knows where he is, she hid in the bush during the news filming because she didn't want to be on TV "for THAT kinda thing." Turns out, the police have raider HER house multiple times and has been questioned on multiple occasions because she "knows where he is but they can't make her tell." The entire time she is detailing this gruesome shooting, I am sitting in silence, in shock, disbelieving. She is genuinely worried about how hungry he is, how cold he is, and I am thinking how many lives he has destroyed.  I continuously tried to draw her back to the lessons but she simply muted the lectures and continued her story. I am appaled. I am scared. This information is crucial. Nobody else can hear our conversation. WHAT DO I DO? Do I tell the teacher? Do I tell the police? Tell anyone? She finally glances at the clock and realizes she is late for work at Subway and she must be on time because her mom is making her pay the electric bill this month because she is the only one with an income. At this, I was brought back to the reality of the students here. She is no different than the others, simply mixed up in the wrong crowd at the wrong time. I instantly dropped all ideas I had formed about her. We did not get a single lesson accomplished but from her status report, I could tell this was a usual event. I bid her goodbye and exited as usual, my mind still spinning with the information about the murderer. In the end, my parents and I decided it was best I did not become involved with the investigation because in the end, I did not have any new information, she was already under suspect. My labeling her would only cause her more problems and I would have to face her again the next week, if she showed to class. I never imagined entering the PLC that day what I would be leaving with. No knowledge about English, or teaching, or poverty but about a criminal investigation. I still cannot fathom the turn of events.

No comments:

Post a Comment