Wednesday, March 9, 2011

3/2/11

Only TWO students in the entire English class today. I guess with warm weather comes less attendance to the PLC. I worked with a completely new student today of Hawaiian decent. She is studying 9th grade literature. She previously has turned down any help from tutors or the teacher so I felt very grateful that she allowed me to work with her. Working with me, she had increased confidence in her answers and flew through assignments. She moved up from the "red" to the "blue" indicating she is now on track to finish the course. We were able to work together and eliminate many of the lectures and activities by successfully passing the pre-tests before the topics. Her work focused on myths and epics and various details of both. She was very grateful at the end of the session for my help and made sure I would indeed be back the following Wednesday to help her because of the immense progress she had made in only one day. I noticed a sign on the wall today regarding listening to music. It talks about the numerous reasons the music helps students work better and why it is effective. However, beside the sign was a chart indicating which students were and were not allowed the privilege. Personally, I find music distracting when I am working so it struck me as very interesting that it is given as a reward to students who work hard. I also noticed signs for a talent show and relay for life team. I especially liked seeing both of these around the school because it made it seem like more of a real school, rather than just an alternative for students. It allows them opportunities to experience what life would be like in a regular high school without giving up on the freedom the PLC offers. The sense of belonging and helping the school surely helps in attendance and attitudes of the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment